How Nigerian Student Thomas Ewansiha Died

Thomas Orhionsefe Ewansiha, the Nigerian who died after a Malaysian Immigration arrest

The Malaysian immigration division has offered particulars on how Nigerian pupil Thomas Orhionsefe Ewansiha died in its Bukit Jalil detention centre on Tuesday, denying that customary working procedures had been breached.

In a press release, it stated Thomas died after he was arrested alongside 19 others throughout a raid on the Desa Aman Puri House in Kepong, Selangor.

“Residents of the apartment had lodged complaints to the immigration about the presence of foreigners and their misbehaviour,” it stated.

Residents had additionally alleged that using medication, prostitution and public intoxication within the space had prompted unrest amongst locals, based on The Star On-line.

Right here is the account of the Malaysian Immigration Division as reported by The Star On-line:

“On the time, a gaggle of foreigners had tried to run away whereas additionally refusing to cooperate with officers throughout inspection.

“The particular person in query (Ewansiha) had additionally fled however was efficiently detained by officers,” stated Immigration Division director-general Datuk Khairul Dzaimee Daud in a press release Friday (July 12).


ALSO READ:  Nina Celebrates Leo As He Marks His Birthday (Photos)

The Malaysian Immigration detention centre the place Ewansiha Thomas had seizure and died

He stated that Ewansiha then produced paperwork that officers discovered to be legitimate.

Nevertheless, his earlier actions had trigger doubt on the authenticity of paperwork, and he was then detained for 14 days for additional investigations.

“All the OKTs (arrested detainees) were then transported to the Kuala Lumpur Immigration Department office,” he stated.

Checks had been performed on Ewansiha and therapy was administrated for an previous damage on his thigh. He didn’t specify any pre-existing medical diseases, based on Immigration.

All of the detainees had been then despatched to the Bukit Jalil Depot at round midday on July 5.

“At round 12.05am on July 9, the officers on responsibility had been instructed by the opposite detainees that the topic had had a seizure in his sleep.

“Speedy support and medical checks had been performed and the hospital was contacted to help as effectively.

“An ambulance from HUKM (Universiti Kebangsaan Hospital) in addition to an assistant medical officer arrived at 12.30am and so they had tried to assist the topic.

ALSO READ:  Why NFF can't sack Rohr: Report

“Nevertheless, he was then pronounced useless,” Khairul Dzaimee stated, including {that a} police report was made on the matter.

He added that the division was nonetheless ready for a full medical report on the topic, in addition to the precise explanation for demise, by way of a autopsy.

Ewansiha’s demise led to a protest exterior the Nigerian Excessive Fee on Thursday, July 11.

Based on The protesters voiced their frustrations at what they referred to as the embassy’s lack of help to the over 30,000 Nigerians within the nation.

Ahmed Adebanjo, a spokesman for NGO Nigerians In Diaspora Organisation Malaysia, stated many Nigerians had been being held in immigration depots as they didn’t have legitimate journey paperwork.

“Many Nigerians want to go home but after spending a lot of money, they don’t have the means to go back,” he stated.

He stated his organisation was doing all it might to assist them however that the embassy needed to do extra.

Supply hyperlink

Updated: July 12, 2019 — 9:39 am